Thursday, June 10, 2010

A pro-cycling mafia?

About 20 months ago, VeloNews posted an interview with Tyler Hamilton. Tyler was found to have doped and was suspended and then tried to return to cycling but had limited success in doing so. This interview is interesting because Hamilton refers to a "cycling mafia." Here is a quote:
I’m still scarred. I’m not the same person I was before, that’s for sure. It’s kind of sad to say it, but after everything I’ve been through, I don’t think I can be the same person. A lot of things happened to me that people don’t know about, and until I write a book someday, won’t know about. There are a lot of bad people out there who have done some bad things to me. Cycling … I think it’s everywhere, but there is a mafia in cycling. That’s pretty much all I’ll say about it, I’ll probably get banned from a race if I say any more, but there is a mafia out there.
With the Floyd Landis / Lance Armstrong fraud/doping investigation going on, if there is a "cycling mafia" then Jeffrey Novitzky will likely learn a lot more about it. Hopefully, we will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment