Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lance Armstrong Investigation: What's It Doing to His Image?

VeloNation has an interesting article discussing the effects of Jeffrey Novitzky's doping investigation on Lance Armstrong's image. The article cites data from the marketing firm, Zeta interactive, that shows Armstrong's image has been suffering lately. In particular, his popularity rating has dropped from 92% in 2008 to the low to mid 50% range this summer. Here is a quote that sums up Armstrong's position:

"He's flirting with 50-50," said Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido, according to the Associated Press. "For someone trying to build themself as a brand, that's not a good place to be."

5 comments:

  1. I seriously doubt those stats. I don't think the average person has any idea the investigation is ongoing. What is the source of the statistics? Don't you think that is important?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, VeloNation says that the stats are from Zeta interactive (as I said in the post). I don't know their methodology but they may have a website that you can check to see how they come up with their popularity rating...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I can't find who was in the population, no mention of that. As I stated I seriously doubt the stats on the general population of our country....I took an informal survey of 15 people in my office. Not one was even aware of the investigation. Perhaps the population is people that know about the investigation. Stating in general terms is misleading at best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not defending anyone. I just don't like stats being thrown around to support some thesis that is self serving. Maybe the population was French women who drive red sports cars....that watch the first stage of the tour de france every other year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary, I agree with you that this is an extreme drop that may be a statistical artifact. At the same time, this isn't the first analysis saying Lance's image is suffering so I don't think your informal survey tells the whole story either. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle where Lance's "popularity" is starting to fall but it may not be in the 50 percent range yet. I think the trend is important and suggests that we will see his perception fall further if Novitzky's investigation keeps providing more evidence that he doped. He has a very strong public image but I doubt it's invincible...

    ReplyDelete